Search: kimberly a. miller-spillman
Published: JAN 24, 2019
"There are some really great readings that supplement the theoretical underpinnings of each chapter." Angie G. Liljequist, Fontbonne University, USA
"A comprehensive compilation of readings for students studying the social and psychological aspects of appearance and dress." Jessica Strubel, University of North Texas, USA
Learn how—and why—consumers buy clothing and accessories, and increase your global awareness as you study dress and appearance.
Contributions are from writers on four continents and examples are from ten countries, including Ghana, Vietnam, Norway, and Jamaica, among others. The book includes more than 50 articles on topics such as wearable technology, cosplay, lesbian dress, and genderqueer fashion.
- Contributors are experts in fashion theory, cultural studies, psychology, sociology, gender studies, religion, material culture, consumer behavior, and popular culture
- Two separate chapters on gender and sexuality
- International examples are included from Afghanistan, China, Ghana, India, Jamaica, Japan, Norway, the United Kingdom, the United States, and Vietnam
- 100 black and white images
The Meanings of Dress STUDIO
- Study smarter with self-quizzes featuring scored results and personalized study tips
- Review concepts with flashcards of terms and definitions
This bundle includes The Meanings of Dress, 4th edition and The Meanings of Dress STUDIO Access Card.
|Paperback + Studio||9781501323942|
Published: OCT 09, 2012
This collection of articles and essays from magazines, newspapers, books, and academic journals is designed to expand the reader's awareness and understanding of the role dress plays in cultures and subcultures across the globe. The text, which represents the very best thinking and writing on the subject today, explores essential topics such as dress and sociology, cultural studies, gender, religion, modesty, and technological changes. The Meanings of Dress, 3rd Edition is newly revised to reflect the current cultural landscape and includes more theory than previous editions, as well as an increased emphasis on the male perspective. The book provides design and merchandising students with insight into how - and why - consumers buy clothing and other products related to dress, and helps them to hone their trend forecasting skills. Instructors, contact your Sales Representative for access to Instructor’s Materials.