- SEP 24, 2015
|Hardback + Studio||9781501395369|
|eBook + Studio||9781501395994|
|Companion Study Tools||ISBN|
Please note that exam/inspection copies and instructor resources are only available to instructors and faculty staff at recognized institutions.
What's in the book
With an increased emphasis on the global industry of textiles, the best-selling Fabric Science, 11th Edition provides the most comprehensive and current introduction to textiles—from fibers through finished fabrics. The eleventh edition has been fully updated to reflect the current industry and applications to fashion, home goods, interior design, and related industries.
- Hardcover binder with loose-leaf, full color sheets allows user to customize their book
- Coverage of fiber characteristics, yarns, woven and knit fabrics, dyeing, printing, and various finishes
- Discussions on environmental concerns, care and renovation, fabric innovations, quality issues, and global laws that regulate textiles
- Attention to textiles for interiors and how to select fabric for the desired end use in apparel, interior furnishings and industrial products
- The vocabulary of textiles in chapter glossaries and a list of fiber names in seven languages
The companion Fabric Science Swatch Kit, 11th Edition (ISBN 9781628926576), includes 114 fabric swatches that align with this text and give students hands-on experience with textile fibers, yarns, fabrications, dyes, prints, and finishes-providing a complete package for understanding textiles.
NEW TO THIS EDITION
- Updates include fiber innovations, high performance fabrics, smart textiles, nanotechnology, recent developments in wet processing and textile technology, global sourcing options, and sustainability
- New Business of Textiles feature focuses on applications with topics such as the novelty yarns used in Chanel suits, current wearable apparel technology, and new green dry cleaning methods
- More than 250 color photos and illustrations and 20% new photographs
- Renamed and expanded Chapter 13 Performance, Technical, and Smart Textiles
- Study smarter with self-quizzes featuring scored results and personalized study tips
- Review concepts with flashcards of terms and definitions and image identification
- Watch videos that bring chapter topics and concepts to life
- Instructor’s Guide with teaching suggestions, activities, lecture notes, and a guide to Swatch Kit assignments.
- Test Bank with over 600 multiple choice, short answer, and true or false questions.
- PowerPoint presentations include full-color images from the book and provide a framework for lecture and discussion.
PLEASE NOTE: Purchasing or renting this ISBN does not include access to the STUDIO resources that accompany this text. To receive free access to the STUDIO content with new copies of this book, please refer to the book + STUDIO access card bundle ISBN 9781501395369. STUDIO Instant Access can also be purchased or rented separately on BloomsburyFashionCentral.com.
Table of Contents
1 The Textile Industry
2 Fiber Characteristics
3 Natural and Manufactured Fibers
4 Yarns and Sewing Threads
5 Woven Fabrics
6 Knitted Fabrics
7 Other Types of Textiles
8 Textile Dyeing
9 Textile Printing
10 Textile Finishing
11 Textiles and the Environment
12 Care and Renovation of Textiles
13 Performance, Technical, and Smart Textiles
14 Textiles for Interiors
15 Determining Fabric Quality
16 Guide to Fabric Selection
17 Textiles Laws, Regulations, and Trade Agreements
Textile Trade and Professional Associations
About The Authors
Ingrid Johnson is a Full Professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), US.
Ajoy Sarkar is an Associate Professor of Textile Development and Marketing at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), US.
Allen C. Cohen was a Professor at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), US.
- Page count:
- Fairchild Books
- 10.5 x 11.5 "
- 290 color illus and 50 bw illus